ARTBUZZ1 - Event Announcements

Advocating the impact and value of the arts touching our lives. Creativity is contagious.

Friday, July 25, 2014

Howard Purnell, Sketching & Etching Today Opening Reception


July 17-August 28, Howard Purnell, Separate Environments Explored. Sketching and Etching. 
Opening reception today:  5-7pm at Civic Center Gallery, City Hall, 505 S. Vulcan Avenue, Encinitas, CA 92024. (650) 633-2600.

The compositions are filled with a love of design, contrast and movement and have clarity of subject matter or focal point. “To develop the story, I create a sense of design within that will lead you around the image. Ever changing contrasts create the mood and the feelings in my black and white works which often lead to nocturnal art.” 

I am an active rancher. I have surfed all over the United States. These aspects of my life have always been my love and adventure..the inspirations of my art.

As a fourth generation artist I have always been inspired by the art happening around me. I was read to almost every night and absorbed those great illustrations within. It only made sense every picture tells a story.


The illustrations. The illustrators, N.C. Wyeth, Howard Pyle, Norman Rockwell were all inspirations to follow.

In Texas I studied at Sam Houston State Univ., later at the university of Texas. I moved to California to be closer to a stronger ocean and discovered a printmaking class. I was hooked. I am printmaker. An etcher. I work with linocuts. As a person whom loves black and white, I always have a scratch board in the making. Not a printmaking technique, but a one of a kind drawing.

I have been blessed to have studied under three very knowledgeable, inspirational men..

Russell Baldwin, Frank Jones, and Bill Kelly, owner of Brighten Press. I have won

numerous awards, and have shown my work here,Texas, Colorado, Wyoming, and Florida.

I so understand the need to create. I do it for myself. Art is what makes us human. I believe even without a medium, living a good life others would model themselves after, you are art.

1 comment:

  1. Do you have any contact info for Howard Purnell? I bought a print of a bison skull on an Indian war club from him at the Leucadia Flea Market in 1975 or so.

    Randy Klein 707-407-7958

    ReplyDelete