ARTBUZZ1 - Event Announcements

Advocating the impact and value of the arts touching our lives. Creativity is contagious.

Tuesday, November 4, 2014

STRATA DARK and LUMINATIONS by Jenessa Goodman at the LUX, November 6, 2014

STRATA DARK and LUMINATIONS - Paintings and Drawings
by Jenessa Goodman


Opening Reception, November 6, 6-8pm.  Exhibit dates October 30 – December 11 at the LUX Art Institute, Education Pavilion.



My artwork is the result of lots of gathering. I take textures and geometry from nature, then reinvent and dissolve them. I find images in dreams and archetypal mythology. I study plants, colors, and patterns of human movement. I rely on synesthesia and I allow myself a free hand with the exploration of images. A lot of my work is simply intuitive. For me creating art is making an offering to something larger than myself, an offering to collective human experience or a homage to the mystical and spiritual aspects of everyday life.

I’m inspired by the concepts of micro and macro as they relate to nature and to human consciousness. My work often visually documents the movement of a tiny speck as it grows into a field of pattern. Repetition pulses through the composition then changes into something new. Matter is balanced with nothingness. Looming shapes blossom from clouds, and ferocious (or are they playful?) animals make appearances. Dreams fascinate me, as does Jungian psychology and the concept of a collective unconscious. I’ve always had an active, vivid dream life, and images from dreams frequently find their way into my work. Through art, I seek to strengthen the links between different realities. 


I primarily use ink and gouache on large pieces of watercolor paper. Gouache has a seductive purity of pigment, and the precision of ink balances bold colors. Most of my paintings are fairly large – up to three feet by four feet. Working on this scale allows me to create a sense of atmosphere.  jenessagoodman.com

Visit the LUX Art Institute, Education Pavilion, 1550 El Camino Real, Encinitas, CA.
760-436-6611


No comments:

Post a Comment